Product code: P01291
Since the early 21st century there has been rapidly growing attention in goji berries for their nutrient value and antioxidant content. It is currently famed as being one of the world's most powerful anti-ageing foods and is rated at the top of the ORAC scale.
Published studies on animalshavereported biological effects of Lycium barbarum and highlighted the fact there may be potential benefits against cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases, vision-related diseases (such as age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma) or from neuroprotective or immunomodulatory activity.
Other associated benefits include boosting liver and kidney function, circulation and the complexion.
Gojiscontain many nutrients and phytochemicals including:
- 11 essential and 22 trace dietary minerals
- 18 amino acids
- 6 essential vitamins
- 8 polysaccharides and 6 monosaccharides
- 5 unsaturated fatty acids, including the essential fatty acids, linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid
- beta-sitosterol and other phytosterols
- 5 carotenoids, including beta-carotene and zeaxanthin (below), lutein, lycopene and cryptoxanthin, a xanthophyll
- Numerous phenolic pigments (phenols) associated with antioxidant properties